August 16, 2011

Portuguese Lesson 1

So, I spent 18 months in Brazil doing missionary work for my church, many moons ago.  I failed to teach my children the language when they were young, but we've started now and hopefully it will all come back to me.

I couldn't find a program I liked (that didn't break the bank) so I'm sort of piecing stuff together and figuring it out as I go.  If any one has any suggestions or wants to have me review their program for free, just let me know!

I'll be posting lessons every day or so, possibly once a week.  I'm not sure of the format I want to use yet so it may change over time.  We're writing things down on a white board so they can see it every day and use it to practice, but I also want a more permanent "book" for them so we can review it as needed.  I need to figure out how to make the accents and such too, so I may have to come back and revise this as I go.

You can learn along with us, or completely ignore these posts!  We starting out SLOWLY.  Some of these lessons you will be able to do all in one day, as opposed to spreading them out over a period of days.

Underlined words are the new words of the day.  You will have already learned the words/phrases in previous lessons.

Greeting
Day 1
Person 1:  Bom dia!  Como vai?
Person 2:  Bem, obrigado.

Translation:
Person 1:  Good day.  How are you?
Person 2:  Good/well, thanks.

My best attempt to give pronunciation hints:
Person 1:  Bone jee-a.  Como vye?
Person 2:  Bain, o bree ga do.  (If you're speaking to a female add an "a" instead of an "o" at the end - o bree ga da.)

Day 2
Person 1:  Bom dia?  Como vai?
Person 2:  Bem, obrigado.  Como vai voce?

Translation:

Person 1:  Good day.  How are you?
Person 2:  Good/well, thanks.  How are you?


Pronunciation:

Person 1:  Bone jee-a.  Como vye?
Person 2:  Bain, o bree ga do (or o bree ga da).  Como vye vo-say?

Day 3:
Person 1:  Bom dia!  Como vai?
Person 2:  Bem, obrigado.  Como vai voce?
Person 1:  Bem.  Eu sou ___________.

Translation:
Person 1:  Good day!  How are you?
Person 2:  Good/well, thanks.  How are you?
Person 1:  Good.  I am _________.  

Pronunciation:  
Person 1:  Bone jee-a.  Como vye?
Person 2:  Bain, o bree ga do (or o bree ga da).  Como vye vo-say?
Person 1:  Bain.  A-o so ___________(say your name).


No comments:

Post a Comment