October 17, 2009

Baked Oatmeal Squares

We eat this at least once a week, usually more. I can stir this together in minutes and relax while it's baking. If we have any leftovers the kids like to eat them cold like a soft granola bar.

2 eggs
3 c. quick-cooking oats
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. white sugar
1 c. milk
1/2 c. melted butter or vegetable oil
1/2 c. chopped nuts, optional
1/2 c. raisins, optional
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
milled flax seed - a large spoonful or two

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cut into squares. My kids like theirs in a bowl with milk, or not. One kid hates milk on his. I like to put craisins and almond slivers on mine. I typically don't add the raisins and nuts to the baking process as all 4 of my kids hate cooked raisins. They take after their mama.

I've made this with applesauce instead of the oil/butter and the kids didn't like the apple flavor. Yours might. I also have forgotten to add the butter and it's turned out just fine, just a little drier than normal. To add further complications - I have done half butter (1/4 c.) and half applesauce (1/4 c.) and they seem to be okay with that.

This can be adapted to be dairy-free if you:
1.  Substitute half of the butter (1/4 c.) with melted coconut oil and (1/4 c.) applesauce.  Or just use the vegetable oil.
2.  Use 1 c. water instead of 1 c. milk
3.  Serve it cut into squares, and serve like a soft granola bar, instead of with milk.  Unless you like rice or almond milk then you can you that.  My kids won't use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment