May 17, 2010

On selecting books

I am reading in a lovely book entitled Mothering With Spiritual Power by Debra Sansing Woods. She had some excellent thoughts on establishing a house of learning. Some of these scriptures come from the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants, books of scriptures we Mormons read along with the Bible. While some of you are not Mormon and may not necessarily view these books as Truth, I think they still have value for assisting in evaluating what books may be best for reading in your home.

I particularly like the questions she uses to discern whether something is worthwhile. (I've added bold or italics to emphasize those points I feel are particularly helpful.)

Will this help my children and me to grow closer to Heavenly Father and his Son?
Will we appreciate God’s creations better after reading this?
Will this help my children and me understand and love our brothers and sisters more?
Will we be better children of God because we’ve read or studied this?
Is the gospel of Jesus Christ at the center of our learning?

Matthew 11:29
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

D&C 90:15
And set in order the churches, and study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people.

D&C 88:118
…seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.

D&C 88:119 (this is one of my all-time favorite scriptures)
Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;

2 Nephi 9:29
But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God.

Thirteenth Article of Faith
We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

“I should like to suggest that you follow that injunction given by the Son of God. With all of your learning, learn of him. With all your study, seek knowledge of the Master. That knowledge will complement in a wonderful way the secular training you receive and give a fullness to your life and character that can come in no other way.” President Gordon B. Hinckley

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing that--I loved the quote from President Hinckley. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete