November 26, 2010

Raw - Day 1

Today is Day 1 of my Raw for 30 Days.

Breakfast:
3/4 of a persimmon  
Green smoothie consisting of:
1 apple
2 seckel pears
some frozen mangos and pineapple
1/2 frozen banana
4 large handfuls spinach
3 large handfuls "mixed greens"
a little over 1 cup coconut water

Have you folks tried persimmons yet?  I had never tasted one before and I love them!  I've only tried the Fuyu kind which I've read is sweeter.  I just washed it, sliced it and ate it, skin and all.

Lunch:
Uh, I was grocery shopping and skipped lunch.

Snack:

This was pretty tasty.  It didn't taste like popcorn, but it was a pleasant way to eat raw cauliflower.  My kids were not impressed, but my husband said it was "okay".  One head of cauliflower made way more than I could eat, and it gets rather soggy if not eaten right away.  If you're making it for just one person, only cut up what you'll eat in one sitting.

Dinner:
Tacos
Salad with guacamole
Pineapple

I have a lovely picture of this, but can't find my camera cord.  I guess tomorrow will be a cleaning day!

Tacos
1 c. pecans 
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. coriander
2 tsp. Nama Shoyu or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
3 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Pulse until chopped but not blended.  To assemble, place a few spoonfuls of 'taco meat' on Romaine or butter lettuce.  Top with chopped tomatoes and avocados.  This would also be good with chopped cilantro, sprouts and/or cucumbers.

These were actually quite tasty.  The nut meat tasted very tacoish.  I couldn't get my sunflower seeds to crack (I used my Blendtec and it didn't like the small amount of ingredients) so the texture wasn't quite what I wanted.  I only had coriander seeds and I think next time I won't use them, or I'll try to find ground coriander.  I found large chunks of them while chewing and it overpowered that bite (and several after).  I ate 4 lettuce leaves worth and along with the salad and pineapple was rather full at the end.





1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's amazing how creative raw chefs get. I never would have thought to make raw cauliflower into popcorn or nuts into tacos. I have to admit, besides some raw cookies my friends made once (and salads, or course), I've never tried any raw prepared foods. You've got me curious.

    ReplyDelete