November 23, 2009

Vegetarian Korma

Everyone really enjoys this and I love that the kids are eating a ton of vegetables.  It's got a long list of ingredients, but it comes together quickly.

1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 potatoes, cubed (you can substitute cauliflower for some or all of the potatoes)
a few handfuls of baby carrots, sliced
1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. curry powder (you can use garam masala or a mixture of the two)
1 c. frozen green peas
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped - I don't use peppers at my house so I consider this optional
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped - I don't use peppers at my house so I consider this optional
1 c. coconut milk 
1 bunch fresh cilantro for garnish
hot cooked rice
naan if you're feeling adventurous

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until tender. Mix in ginger and garlic, and continue cooking 1 minute. Add the potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, salt and curry powder. Cook and stir 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender (I add in a bit of water now and then if it's looking too dry or sticking to my pan). Add the remaining ingredients (but not the rice and naan!).  Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro to serve.   

Serve with rice and naan.  You could add spinach, broccoli or garbanzo beans or pretty much whatever you want.

1 comment: